Friday, May 29, 2009

Smashing Smock: Following Directions

I have ventured into the world of sewing women's apparel. My first pattern to follow is from Anna Maria Horner's book titled Seams to Me: 24 New Reasons to Love Sewing. I followed the pattern almost to the T. I did add an extra inch of width to all pieces and i later found that i need to add way more than one lonely inch... her book has lots of "how to's" regarding apparel adjustments. So making the proper adjustments to make one to fit ME will not be difficult.

Materials used:
One queen sized top sheet purchased for $.48 at the thrift store.
Coordinating thread I had in my crafty corner.
1 Matching vintage button from this excursion.


Aside from the size issues.... I am very happy with the end result. Plus, I worked out the kinks on this trial run so that with version 2.0 I should have zero hiccups. (there were a few and an experienced seamstress would be able to point them out in a flash. But to the general public, the shirt is a smash!

More photos from this project can be found here.

3 comments:

Annie and Greg said...

How incredibly cute!

Amanda said...

Adorable! I hope you find a good home for it so that it gets worn, and have better luck with v2.0

jen said...

Are you going to make v2 from the same sheet? 'Cause if you are, I hope I can fit into this one and then we can be twins!

It's very cute - the style reminds me of a 70's maternity top, but I promise I don't mean that in a bad way. :)