Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Running - Couch to 5K

Completed! A few weeks ago I wrote about how I started the Couch to 5K program, at that time I was in week 4 of training and nervous about a 20 minute long run ahead of me in week 5.  Well, I completed week 5 moved on to weeks 6, 7 and 8 and today completed day 3 of week 9.  That means I finished the program and I've been running for 30 minutes straight for my last 3 runs! 

Now before I mislead anyone, I want to point something out.  If you follow along with the workouts you'll see there is a running time and distance that should directly correspond with each other.  I have continuously fell short in the distance portion of this program.  Week 9's 30 minute runs should result in 3 miles of running (that's nearly a 5K) and my time should be a 10 minute mile.  I'm short by a FULL mile! And that means I'm running a 15 minute mile which isn't really something to write home about.  After I started to realize that I wasn't quite making it in the distance category I decided I kinda didn't care.  Because, well I was running for 25 then 27, and now 30 minutes straight with no walking breaks and THAT is a feat that I never thought I could do! I started to read forums and ask around among my other friends who were also doing C25K and they too were having the same distance problem. Knowing that others are also struggling to get the distance makes me feel a little better.  I don't mean that in a negative way either, I just mean that I'm not alone in this and that most of us who have never run before are having the same issues. Motivation enough to keep me going!

I've decided to keep running.  A 30 minute run is a GREAT place to be.  I feel good after I run, I'm noticing changes with my body (as are others ;) ) and with regards to my schedule and how much time I have to run, this seems to work for now.  I do have plans for the future... I plan to run a 5k this fall.  Prior to that I will continue to run 3 times a week for 30 minutes. I will be working on my form in hopes to increase my distance and I will be adding some hill training into the mix a bit too. 

As for long term running goals.  We'll see where it takes me.  For right now, I'm content with the current time it takes me to run.  I'm willing to put a little more into it but not much.  I don't see 10K's in my future but that could change.  I guess the lesson learned here is never say never or in my case, I can't...

7 comments:

Amanda said...

The nice thing about running is it is a personal sport. Even people with 10 min/mile pace look ahead at other faster runners with envy. Keep it up! It has been a week since my last run. I have been a little off lately. But I am going to try harder to get out of bed tomorrow!

Annie and Greg said...

Way to go peeps!!

Unknown said...

The way I see it, you only have to try to keep competing against yourself! Way to go! You've made great strides.

Unknown said...

Awesome! Go girl!!!

Leah the Foodie said...

Good job Cara!!! That is quite an accomplishment!!

. said...

Last year I finished the C2K5, ran the Great Race (slowly) and said to Mike "I can't even FATHOM why those crazy ass people would want to run 10k. It's insane".

And we know where that took me...:)

Burgh Baby said...

The thing about running is that you can't ever be the fastest or go the furthest, which just means there is always room for anybody to improve. There is nothing wrong with that at all, it's all about just continuing to go. Yay, you!