Thursday, March 26, 2009

buttercup bag

we celebrated my sister-in-law's birthday over the weekend. i had decided a few weeks ago that i was going to sew a bag for her. i had intended on making another one of these. i had purchased khaki linen to use as the main color. i had a black fabric with little circles and tiny flowers to use for the pleats and lining. i started to cut the fabric one night, i made a mistake due to tiredness and put it aside for another day. the next day i came across this blog. she had recently posted this free pattern for the buttercup bag. and i was hooked. her pattern was simple to follow, i cut the fabric and sewed it together throughout the day and into the evening, during nap and after bedtime. then i completed the strap the following afternoon. total construction time took maybe 3 hours, maybe....

this is the outcome:

button detail - vintage button purchased at Collection Antiques in Trumansburg, NY - it's black mother of pearl and i have 5 more for other projects


finished bag

i added a few structural items, i added cotton flannel to the inside as a stabelizer and did the same with the strap. i didn't want a completely slouchy bag, i like my bags to have a bit of structure, this helped perfectly. i also completed ironed pleats, next time, i'll only iron the tops so that the pleat bottoms pop out a little more.

5 comments:

Annie and Greg said...

I've been eying this up on your flickr page. So cute!

Amanda said...

What a fun bag. I really love the button. it is so unique!

jen said...

I like the linen and the awesome button. I still have to pick fabric for mine, but I'm looking forward to making it.

Life with Pog & FLeC said...

That's awesome. You are so talented.

RD said...

Oooh, I can't believe I didn't see this earlier. What a gorgeous bag! Between this and everything we saw today, I'm seriously inspired to make some stuff!